History of Tenbroeck ›
Tenbroeck, named for a run-away horse which was caught in the community, was settled by the Bassetts, Baxters, Hortons and Julia Sargeant. Andrew Morgan opened the first store, which was later owned by J. B. Rains. Traveling salesmen who called at the store in the “horse and buggy” days found lodging in the Rains home.
Union Hill Congregational Church, organized seventy-five years ago, was built on property donated by Stephen Elisha Bassett. The Baptist Church, organized in 1904 and chartered in 1905, and Tenbroeck School were built on land donated by Russell Downs. The first cemeteries in the community were Mt. Pleasant and Beulah. Elrod’s Bridge, which was nearby, was a favorite spot for picnicking and picture-taking.
Tenbroeck was incorporated in 1925 with J. T. Chadwick mayor and J. B. Rains, J. E. Johnson, W. S. Clements, R. J. Daniel, and G. P. Gilbert councilmen. The Council held its first meeting March 17, 1925, and elected J. E. Johnson as clerk and Thomas E. Downs chief of police.