Hammondville, Dekalb County, Alabama ›
Hammondville, although not incorporated until 1932, had settlers a century earlier. George M. C. Lowry built a plantation home, and later became a leader in the War Between the States. William Cook Hammond settled in 1832 on the western side of the present town. John Wright came later in the 1800’s, and like Lowry and Hammond, raised a large family. Later on came Bleve Hammond, W. B. Thompson, James Carmichael, Farris McSpadden, George Phillips, D. M. Tate, C. C. Davenport, Glover Samples, John Gardner, Johnny Winston, Lucy and Jim Ballard, R. M. Huolgan, the Chadwicks, Crows, Fishers, Hawkins, Alexanders, Harrises and Roses.
The town was incorporated under the leadership of Bleve Hammond who served as its mayor for the first 27 years. The Alabama National Guard Armory located there is named Fort W. B. Hammond in his honor. The town grew up around a crossroads that resulted when U. S. Highway 11, constructed in 1926, crossed the Valley Head – Henegar road.