The Fort Payne Opera House
Built during the city’s industrial boom in 1889, Fort Payne’s Opera House is the only one in the State of Alabama still in use. The establishment has been used as a movie house, live theatre and a public forum. The Opera House opened September 1890, built during Fort Payne’s boom period, and was converted during the era of silent movies. Closed in October 1935. Purchased by Landmarks of DeKalb County, Inc. 1969, and renovated, restored and reopened to public in 1970. The Opera House is the oldest theatre in Alabama located in a building originally constructed as a theatre.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places and the National Register of 19th Century Theatres in America. The Opera House still hosts live theatrical events periodically.
Located at: 510 Gault Avenue North
Opera House & Hosiery Museum is open Fridays between 12pm – 4pm, Saturdays 10am-2pm, or by appointment: (256) 845-6888.
For more information, Contact Us